USB Camera

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 3 02:06:44 UTC 2007

david walcroft wrote:
> It seems the camera is detected but what device is used to connect to
> KDE graphics [Picasa etc] and to bring it up automaticaly.
>
> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> Apr  3 09:16:59 reddwarf kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device
> using ohci_hcd and address 6
> Apr  3 09:16:59 reddwarf kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
> choice
> Apr  3 09:16:59 reddwarf kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
> Storage devices
> Apr  3 09:17:04 reddwarf kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access FUJIFILM
> USB-DRIVEUNIT    1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
> Apr  3 09:17:04 reddwarf kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable
> disk sda
> Apr  3 09:17:04 reddwarf kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0
> type 0

Check your desktop and see if you have a new icon that is the
camera. From the log, it is being treated as a USB storage device.
If this is the case, you can copy the pictures off the camera just
as if it were a thumb drive. (Safer to copy all the pictures, and
then delete them after the copy is done...)

I am not sure where the settings are for the KDE desktop, but you
can set how USB storage devices are handled. You can also set how
Cameras that look like USB storage devices are handled - I have not
looked into how the system tells the difference, but it does think
one of my SD cards has pictures on it...

Mikkel