Fedora 5 or Fedora 6

Lizerazu lizerazu.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:41:20 UTC 2007

Frank,
Sorry about that.

Xorg is the application that displays graphics to the screen (allowing
for GUI's and desktops) and compiz/beryl are similarly applications that
run on top of that to add 3D effects, transparencies and other "eye
candy" to windows and the desktop. This is not always desired but some
people really like it. Basically the effects on Vista are based on these
and a couple Mac effects. Just make it look pretty. They're not really
"buzz words" in the way that "web 2.0" is a buzz word since the X
windows system has been around for a very long time (don't know my
history but 15 years sounds about right). As you learn more about Linux
you will discover much of this. The X windows system and it's
configuration becomes very useful to know but as a beginner it should
all be auto configured by the Fedora installer.

As for FC5, support is still available (bug fixes, minor updates) but
the major development work is done in the FC6 tree and the upcoming
Fedora7 and so new and cutting edge features and applications will only
be available (through fedora) for these versions. This aggresive
development cycle is the reason I like fedora over some of the other
distributions because it allows me to have the most up to date software
without me having to compile it myself. As a new Linux user interesting
in the cutting edge of software, a current Fedora is the distribution
for you. If you are less concerned about this then an older Fedora or
even Current version of other ditros may be preferable. I would
certainly do some reading on different versions of Fedora and even
different distros as they compare to fedora.

www.distrowatch.com is a good (although maybe not the best) web site to
view reviews and comparisons of a lot of the ditros.

Hope that helped a bit
Liz