yum-presto - fast updates for Fedora 7

RavenOak ravenoak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:56:58 UTC 2007

What about server-side?  Either the server or the client needs to do a
binary/rpm diff.  If it's the client, that really doesn't cut down on
bandwidth because the client would have to d/l the new package to diff
it against the old one (and if it didn't have the old one, d/l it
too).  I'm not too familiar with the possibility of a distributed
diff, where the server does it's thing and reports back to the client
so it can make the final comparison and request the difference.
Another possibility is to store the diff between a couple of versions,
e.g. from foo-1.0 to foo-1.5, foo-1.1 to foo-1.5...foo-1.4 to foo-1.5.
 While it would take more HDD space, it is far cheaper (logistically,
possibly monetarily) than the bandwidth.

--
Timothy Selivanow