smart gone wild

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:13:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 17:29 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I did that, disabled atrpms completely. I even erased it's channel as
> > nothing else seemed to work. Now doing the update and it STILL seems to
> > use atrpms. At least it is now dnloading packages. This is truly weird,
> > and I'm using the GUI. <sighs> Ric
>
> I think you are confusing two different things.
>
> Removing the atrpms channel simply removes the use of the third party
> rpms that Axel kindly builds for FC. This is completely different to not
> using the mirror of the official fedora update channel that the atrpms
> server also hosts. This is explained in Axel's post.
>
> So instead of trying to disable the atrpms channel, you need to look
> into the mirrors you are using for the standard update channel. I think ;)
>
> I guess the reason it is now working is because the the mirror at atrpms
> is now back on line ?

That's the fun part... nor am I knocking Axel's great work, but his site
went down at a critical juncture for me as there was a pile of updates
half baked in the oven that were just standard fedora core rpms
available in a dozen places. I disabled atrpms channel as well as the
mirror. I erased all traces of atrpms that I could find. Thankfully it
is now up as smart is still dnloading from there almost *exclusively*.

I just cannot explain it. I just got evolution back. No telling how it
went boom. All of my kde games... floop. Gone. Re-installing them now.

I promise you Axel, if I ever hit the lotto I'll spring for a blade farm
and at least two T-1's from completely different providers.

Bleeding edge sucks at times. If you're not "intimate" with your machine
and install, you're screwed. :) Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net