Need (apt and synaptic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Apr 7 16:40:47 UTC 2007

On Saturday 07 April 2007 18:05, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 17:41 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Apt stores it's downloaded archives in /var/cache/apt/archives, and
> > unlike Yum which as default cleans the archive when it has finished
> > installing updates, apt retains the archive. After a while this can take
> > up significant diskspace, and unless you have a particular reason for
> > saving the archives like I have, you can run the command, as root, on the
> > CLI.
> > apt-get clean.
>
> Doesn't smart handle Apt?

Don't know. I havn't tried smart. When I first started with FC1 I was stuck
with Red Hats updater, which was absolutely awfull. No resume support, and on
dialup, and only getting 2 hrs at a time before being booted it was
impossible to get some updates, OO for example. Wanting music apps I found
planet ccrma which was using apt, and havn't looked back. Since FC5 Fernando
at planetccrma has moved to using Yum, which is a bit annoying, so now on FC5
I do the system updates with apt-get, and have to use Yum for planetccrma
stuff, but anythings better than that Red Hat update thing. Yukk.

Someone kindly sent me some FC6 cdroms, so I'll try Smart on that and see how
it goes. As it so happens one of my FC5 installs while doing an apt-get
update/apt-get dist-upgrade is having problems. I get a long list of depends,
and predepends, ending up in a segfault. On the same machine, another FC5
install is doing the updates with no problems. if I can't fix the segfault
problem, I'll do a fresh install of FC6 on this partition space, and have a
go at Smart. I see that you, and Gene Heskett, are working with it, so it's
worth a go.

Nigel.