Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sat Apr 7 23:12:29 UTC 2007

Mike C wrote:
> I am using FC6 with KDE as a desktop and fully up to date on kernel
> 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.
>
> I have a D-Link G650 card with an atheros chipset.
>
> I have been unable to get this card working despite various attempts with
> different versions of madwifi.  I initially tried kmod-madwifi from Livna. Then
> I followed the how-to from
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=126266&page=1&pp=15
>
> I tried both the latest madwifi version 0.9.3 as well as the new generation
> snapshot from 6th April madwifi-ng-r2256-20070406.tar.gz
>
> Nothing seems to work.
>
> In addition I have a Cisco Aironet 350 pcmcia card - this used to work directly
> by plugging it in for fc5 and previously - but does not play with the new
> kernels in fc6.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers to getting either card going with an up to date
> fc6 system with kernel 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6
>
> Thanks

I have a a Toshiba laptop running FC 6  with uname showing  kernel
2.6.20-1.2933.fc6  running a  DWL G650 AirPlus PCMCIA card

rpm -qa  reports:
    madwifi-0.9.3-1.lvn6
    kmod-madwifi-0.9.3-1.2.6.20_1.2933.fc6

When a new kernel comes out, there is an understandable lag before the
new kernel modules appear on Livna.  Is it possible that you had the
wrong module installed?

/etc/modprobe.conf shows  "alias ath0 ath_pci"

I'm using NetworkManager  to handle the network setup and everything is
working fine.  Had to enable NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher  using "System>Administration>Services", initially.

I've been successfully using the Livna madwifi modules since the second
kernel release for FC6.  While this doesn't help you debug your
situation, at least it might imply that it CAN work.

~~R