Help

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 8 20:53:30 UTC 2007

JJJIOM writes:

> I installed Linux Fedora 6 on my computer as the only operating system. I
> have noted the following problems:

> Evolution Disappeared
>
> Evolution was used for my email I was sending and receiving email. After
> shutting down, when I tried to use it I received the following message:
>
> Email-mail client evolution does not exit. Please reconfigure.

What did you use before installing Fedora 6?

In any case, log in as root, then execute "yum install evolution".

> Printer installation problem
>
> I have Dell Photo All-in-One Ink Ink Jet 926(USB) but the printer
> configuration screen shows a Dell S2500 Foormatic. The test page will not
> print. How can the correct driver from the manufacturer's disk be
> installed.

What reason do you have to believe that the manufacturer's disk contains
Linux-compatible drivers?

Manufacturer-supplied drivers are extremely rare in Linux.  Most printers
are supported by a standard Linux printer subsystem.  For Fedora Core 6,
that would be CUPS.  A brief look through CUPS shows no driver available
for a "Dell Photo All-in_one".  There are only two drivers for Dell-branded
printers available in CUPS, so when it couldn't find one that matches your
printer exactly, it just picked the closest one, which, obviously, does not
work.

Before purchasing any hardware, such as printers, network cards, etc, you
must always research and verify that your hardware is supported by Linux.
You cannot assume that you can buy any printer, network card, sound card,
etc…, and it will work.

There's a manual printer setup process, during which there's an option to
read a .PPD file off the manufacturer's disk.  There's a small chance that
this will help you get some basic print functionality, but I wouldn't bet
much on it.  Find another printer to use.

> Yelp installation
>
> When I try to start Yelp(system menu-help), the Gnme Help Browser appears.
> Upon shutting down the system, there was an error message regarding Yelp
> but it didn't appear long enough
>
> to read and an error message couldn't be sent because bug-buddy wasn't
> installed.

Install bug-buddy.

"yum install bug-buddy".

> Screen Size
>
> The Monitor is a Dell Wide Flat Panel 20” resolution 1680x1050. The right
> side of the screen can't be used (delete or scroll) and the minimize does
> nothing. Using 1400x1050 leaves 3” on the left. When use previous setting
> was chosen, 1680x1050 isn't installed but the screen shows 2” on the
> right. How does Linux read a Windows CD's?

What does the question of Linux reading Windows CD's have to do with your
video configurattion?

First of all, you should always mention your video chipset when asking for
help with video configuration.  Without knowing the particular details of
your video hardware, not much advice can be given.  But, in general, on FC6:

Open System → Administration → Display.  Try to set the resolution to
1680x1050.  If it won't let you, and your "Color Depth" reads "millions of
colors", reduce it to "thousands of colors", and see if you can set it to
1680x1050.  If you still can't, click on the "Hardware" tab, then click to
configure your monitor type,  then manually select "LCD Display → Generic
1680x105 LCD display".

> After loading Linux as the only operating system and having two disks, I
> tried loading Linux on one and Vista on the other. Vista doesn't recognize
> the Linux disk. When the computer is started with the disk with Linux on
> it, the above message appears.

Generally Vista does not like to be installed on a system that has already
another operating system installed.  You need to install Vista first, then
install Linux second.