clean epson C64 printhead with CUPS?

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Apr 9 01:04:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 20:41 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Epson C64 printer running with FC6 up to date. I periodically need to
> clean the print heads. Until now the method has been to reboot into XP and use
> the Epson driver there. This works fine but is tedious. I recently updated the
> Epson CUPS driver, hoping for this functionality, but it is apparently not
> there. I then ran kcontrol, went into peripherals, printers and Epson printer
> tools. There I found a page that seems to offer exactly the options needed to
> nozzle print, align and clean the heads, in a vertical sequence of 6 buttons.
> But clicking on any button gives the message, :unsupported connection type: hal."
>
> I don't know about hal connection types. This printer is connected by a USB
> cable which has given no problems in regular use. I conclude I have stumbled
> upon some unfamiliar jargon and am seeking advice.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Dave

You could always try out this package..

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

It interfaces to CUPS and does all the stuff that the Windows drivers
do, like clean the heads, show the INK levels etc. I use it with my
Canon printers and it works like a dream.. Granted to get full
functionality, you'll have to buy it, but it's worth it..

Wolf