Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 9 16:06:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 21:52 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> kalinix <calin.kalinix.cosma <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Are you using the default configuration for wpa_supplicant? If yes, you
> > may want to have a look at the configuration file,
> > in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> >
> > Also, you may want to use wpa_cli (again as root) in order to see
> > whether the wless associates itself correctly (I think it does, but you
> > can double check).
> >
> > And last, you may want to review your firewall configuration, both on
> > your w-less machine and the machine you try to ping.
>
> In fact I am not using wpa_supplicant - this attempt was just using "network"
> (the NetworkManager daemon plus Dispatcher were not running)

Well for wireless connections NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDaemon is
the way to go. They run wpa_supplicant and it mostly just works.
> I also turned off the firewall on this machine altogether (both ipv4 and 6) and
> it made no difference - and I cannot even ping the wireless router from this
> machine. All other wireless machines here can ping that router (by address). If
> I do ifdown ath0 and ifup eth0 (wired) then I immediately get back to normal
> wired networking.
>
> I also removed the version I had compiled and re-installed kmod-madwifi from
> livna - with exactly the same result.
>
> Will try more avenues (I even tried ndiswrapper from livna but as soon as I
> plugged in my card it hung the entire machine and I could not get out of X, nor
> regain a boot using alt-sysrq-b !)
>
> Mike

My own life has been spent chronicling the rise and fall of human
systems, and I am convinced that we are terribly vulnerable. ... We
should be reluctant to turn back upon the frontier of this epoch. Space
is indifferent to what we do; it has no feeling, no design, no interest
in whether or not we grapple with it. But we cannot be indifferent to
space, because the grand, slow march of intelligence has brought us, in
our generation, to a point from which we can explore and understand and
utilize it. To turn back now would be to deny our history, our
capabilities. -- James A. Michener
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net