Using Fedora to create wireless access point on demand

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Apr 9 15:49:37 UTC 2007

Truthfully, I'm not ready to start this project yet, but I thought I'd
better start the research early. I have a Nokia N770 which once in a blue
moon or so I would like to link to my in-home network with 802.11g or
such, but I would prefer to not have a wireless segment for the network on
a permanent basis. Otherwise, I'd do the obvious and purchase a wireless
router. 8-)

What I have in mind is to have one of the Fedora boxes create a wireless
segment to the lan when I plug a usb wireless adaptor in, and destroy it
when the adaptor is unplugged. I assume that such would be best
implemented through the hot-plug facilities, but after that point I'm
rather at a loss for direction.

Has anybody seen such a setup created, or better yet, done it? I'd love to
locate a basic howto obviously.

And for the record, no I haven't started with a web search yet. At this
point I thought I'd get better results from living brains than a spidering
robot...

Thanks for the use of the bandwidth.