Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 9 15:40:53 UTC 2007

On Mon 09 Apr 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

 > Linux WiFi setup is unbelievably BAD,
> > and Fedora manages to be worse that most other Linux distributions.
> >
> > Whoever is responsible for the various WiFi configuration tools
> > should be gently eased out of the job,
> > and the author of wifi-radar asked to take the position.
>
> That just is not true. If you use NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDaemon rather than network wireless just works.
> nm-applet lets you choose from wireless connections and configure them.

I have 5 WiFi devices, and NM works on just 2 of them.
It is simply not up to the task, in my view,
and should definitely NOT be made a basic part of Fedora.
So it works for you, great -
that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

In my view, NM tries to be far too clever,
attempting to deal with Ethernet and Bluetooth as well as WiFi.
What is needed is a simple program like wifi-radar
that just has one aim in view,
and that is to list all WiFi sources in range,
and go through the necessary steps (WEP, or whatever)
to establish connection with one of them.

Like Windows, in fact.
Sigh.

--
Timothy Murphy