Restarting an Ethernet modem (ADSL) with software

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Mon Apr 9 21:53:36 UTC 2007

Hi Bruno, Paul and Allan;

Paul said he got an answer from Alan so I hope I am not hi-jacking a
thread.

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:22 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 20:53:35 +0100,
>   Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is there some way of restarting an Ethernet modem (ADSL) with
> > software, i.e., without switching it off and then on by hardware?
>
> This is a bit off topic for this forum (unless the modem is running Fedora).

Yea, it is OT, but, boy, would I like to read an answer.

I have a cable service provider, rogers.com, that won't talk to you if
you have a router or use Linux.  It seems I have to fight with them
every month about something.  I can't change providers -- a long family
story I won't bore you with.

> It would have been a good idea to have told us what the model and the firmware
> of the modem is. Then someone might have been able to give you a definitive
> answer. As it is, all we can say is maybe.

My cable modem has to be turned off and restarted every three weeks to a
month.  If you could tell me how do it with a script, rather than going
to the basement;  climbing up on the freezer; unplugging and waiting for
one minute; then restarting, I would really appreciate it.  I'll write
the script if someone can point me to the essentials.

I have a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem, Model SB5100 (supplied by the
cable company).  All my computers run through a AOPen SOHO Series
10/100Mbps SOHO Broadband Router and then into the modem and out through
the cable system.

--
Regards Bill