Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

linuxmaillists at charter.net linuxmaillists at charter.net
Tue Apr 10 03:46:40 UTC 2007

On Monday 09 April 2007, Andy Green wrote:
> linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> > No it has something to do with the function not being
> > open source or something like that. It was on another
> > mailing
>
> Patent threat from MSFT... see this FUD article from
> 2004:
>
> ''OpenOffice: A legal Trojan horse--but for whom?''
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513-5375070.html
>
> Don't blame Redhat for this, they are doing what they
> have to do.  As you point out it's not so hard if you
> want to install the stock version on top of the vast
> amount of other packages and security updates Redhat are
> giving us for free.
>
> -Andy

I wasn't blaming any one I was just very frustrated to find
out that some functionality that I could have used and will
now was taken out of the version packaged with Fedora.

It would be nice to know when Fedora strips functionality
out of packages in the distro so we can make the choice to
install the original package and not the Fedora stripped
version.  I understand why they do it.  I also like to know
about it so I can override them when I think I need too.
That is my only issue.

Now back to my original question does any one know where I
can find information that shows what packages Fedora has
stripped because of questionable legal issues?

--
If the word following begins with
a vowel, the word you want is...