Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:16:47 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
>>> If you are a non-US citizen yes. Otherwise knowing merely makes you
>>> liable for triple damages and other penalties...
>> How would knowing that the thing named java in fedora isn't really java
>
> There isn't a package in Fedora named "java", and for good reason.
> Fingers crossed that as Sun finishes GPLing the needed code this will all
> change for the better.

Not a package, but an executable or a symlink, and if it isn't full java
it shouldn't be named java.

>> make you liable for anything?  Or do you think that downloading the real
>> thing that Sun distributes freely puts you in enough jeopardy to justify
>> the bizarre contortions you have to do to make it work?
>
> I was referring to the openoffice discussion that started this - which is
> patent related.

I understand, but every discussion of user-unfriendliness seems to duck
behind legal covers when in fact it sometimes is just a refusal to
cooperate with anyone else.  Why would a push-button link to install Sun
  java in a standard way be such a problem?  I believe there are other
OO features (related to the database) missing because java is not
available to bring this back to OO.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com