Raid card for FC6

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 10 13:59:21 UTC 2007

Brian Porter wrote:
> I disagree about the importance of a battery backed cache.. Use a UPS
> and nut or something similar.

In my own research, I have wondered across some arguments for battery
backed cache, despite the presence of a UPS:

1) UPSes can still fail during a power event due to cascading power
failures. I don't know what the chance of this happening is.

2) Some raid controllers will prevent write-back caching
unless a battery backed cache is present, resulting in dismal
performance. The operating system's / driver's decisions on when to do
caching here also play a part but opinions seem to differ.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a paucity of good information
available on this topic -- this is just what I've gleaned from
opinions on usenet and forum searches.

Cheers,
Raman Gupta