Alternatives to du

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Apr 10 14:54:23 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, Apr 10th 2007 at 09:14 -0400, quoth Mark Haney:

=>I have a need to determine the amount of space used in a particular folder,
=>but don't really want to use du because of the beating my RAID array takes.
=>(Usually 6 hours or so on a RAID 5 for a folder with about 350GB of data)  Are
=>there any other similar tools out there that don't require smacking around my
=>hard drives to get the data and don't take hours to run?

Ok. Let's see here. RAID5, 350G, 6hrs. You might need to look into
purchasing faster electrons or else a bus lube. ;-)

Besides du, you might look into configuring quotas.

steveo at syslang.net