Alternatives to du

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Tue Apr 10 16:11:03 UTC 2007

> I have a need to determine the amount of space used in a particular
> folder, but don't really want to use du because of the beating my RAID
> array takes.  (Usually 6 hours or so on a RAID 5 for a folder with about
> 350GB of data)  Are there any other similar tools out there that don't
> require smacking around my hard drives to get the data and don't take
> hours to run?

Huh?  Hours?

As a comparison, I ran du on one of my machines.

AMD Duron 1.3Ghz
768MB PC133
WD 120GB UDMA33 (IDE) hard drive

/dev/hdb1             111G   87G   18G  83% /home/data/share

[root at www share]# ls -Rl|wc -l
39091

[root at www share]# date >> /tmp/du.txt; du -h >> /tmp/du.txt; date >>
/tmp/du.txt

It took 30 seconds.

believed to be clean.