[Fedora] Re: RAID-1 Question

DJ Delorie dj at delorie.com
Tue Apr 10 18:00:47 UTC 2007

"Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley at pcraft.com> writes:
>     The reason I ask is because we can't have this amount of down time
> when doing this.  I need to be able to run this machine with minimal
> downtime.  So I need to figure out a way to be able to add drives,
> grow the RAID, and at the same time keep running while this is all
> happening.  Sounds like having the BIOS manage the RAID is not the way
> to go because it takes too long.

My machine was running the whole time I was rearranging things, except
for the few minutes it took to physically swap disks (hot swap doesn't
work).  The logical volumes I was moving around were *in use* while I
was moving them.  That's why I do it that way.  If your hardware does
hot swap, there's no need to stop *anything* if you use my system.

The only catch is that you should use explicit FSIDs when exporting,
to avoid the "stale nfs handle" when you reboot, but this is a feature
of LVM, not raid.