[Fedora] Re: Alternatives to du

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:46:02 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
>> Backuppc is a very real world use case.  It is so handy everyone should
>> be running it: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ It works pretty well as
>> long as you don't try to traverse the whole directory tree or copy the
>> archive with a file-oriented mechanism.
>
> Please stop hijacking threads with completely unrelated discussions and
> trying to make out they are somehow related. The discussion about
> directory sizes is solely about single very large directories.

I started a du on my 250 gig backuppc partition when I read the first
message in this thread.  It hasn't finished yet.  It doesn't have a
single very large directory - just very many filenames.  I thought this
thread was about du taking a long time to complete, not just one kind of
layout that exhibits the problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com