Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Wed Apr 11 00:06:58 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 09.04.2007, 16:40 +0100 schrieb Timothy Murphy:

> I have 5 WiFi devices, and NM works on just 2 of them.

Thats not true. If your driver for the card is supported through
iwconfig it should work. If not, you may should ask the Vendor of the
Card to help _YOU_ (which means, provide the community with firmware and
documentation that is redistributable). _YOU_ are his customer.

> It is simply not up to the task, in my view,

You mean cause you use buggy drivers the fault lies within
NetworkManager? I don't think so.

> and should definitely NOT be made a basic part of Fedora.
> So it works for you, great - that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

For me and many others is NetworkManager the invention of the Year. I
can 'now' easily manage my wireless, dialup, vpn connections within one
simple Tools.

> In my view, NM tries to be far too clever, attempting to deal with Ethernet
> and Bluetooth as well as WiFi. What is needed is a simple program like wifi-radar
> that just has one aim in view, and that is to list all WiFi sources in range,
> and go through the necessary steps (WEP, or whatever) to establish connection with one of them.

Your Wishlist is exactly what NetworkManager provides you with.

> Like Windows, in fact.

No, it is better like in Windows.

> Sigh.

Double Sigh. And Greetings, long time no see on this list :)

--

 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,