Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Apr 11 02:08:59 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better for those couple million users to have a simple
>> way to get the real thing from someone willing/able to distribute it
>> than to have a crippled version dumped in their lap?
>
> They have a simple way to replace it if they wish and they are not
> subject to any problematic patent or other legal restrictions imposed by
> their state. I think you'll find 99.999% of users would prefer to have a
> wordprocessor installed by default even if it can't do a specific obscure
> spreadsheet function.
>
> Alan

I appreciate the inclusion of a word processor which is safer to use
because of preventive measures to include questionable code were
implemented. It sure beats having to install the binaries with scripted
installers as was previously the case with earlier distributions of RHL.

I used StarOffice and Mozilla for awhile and like the integration and
tuning which takes place with versions compiled for the current state of
the OS. Previous scripted installations were usually unreliable and
would crash more often than they would function.

Special functionality packages could probably be provided by external
sources, like OpenOffice.org-obscure-functions.

Jim

--
It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for.