Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Apr 11 02:59:33 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> What is the name of the printer? I have a LaserJet 6L that I gave
>>> the name LaserJet6L in CUPS. Windows XP accesses it using:
>> The printer queue is "lp".  It is a Samsung CLP-510 color laser.  This
>> is the queue that I use from Linux.
>>
>>> http://192.168.0.9:631/printers/laserjet6l
>> That's what I'm doing.  I can access the CUPS WWW page from the windows
>> machine via this URL in firefox, and I can print a test page from the
>> CUPS page, but I cannot get Windows to add a printer which can print
>> even a test page to this printer!  The testpage document goes into the
>> local windows spool queue, and the status immediately becomes ERROR.
>> I have no other info.
>>
> Open http://localhost.localdomain:631/admin from the Linux box, and
> make sure that "Share published printers connected to this system"
> is enabled. I forgot that CUPS is only enabled for the local
> machine... Also make sure the printer is published.

Nope, Share Published printers is selected.  (remember, I can access it
from my Linux laptop).

However, you've made me look at the both the access_log and the
error_log (because the Admin page had some nice buttons to do that with B^)

And I've found out some more information.  The access_log shows a couple
of the failed attempts, and the error_log shows some more information
(something about "do I have raw queues enabled" which I don't....

I think I'm going to go back and look at the information Anne put in her
response more closely!

>>> Are you sure you are using bridged mode? I get an IP address in the
>>> same subnet, assigned by the DHCP server on my network.
>> VMWare creates to subnets (I'm on 192.168.6.x, the 2 created networks by
>> VMWare are 192.168.38.x (vmnet8) and 192.168.74.x (vmnet1).  Windows XP
>> sits on a DHCP address in the 192.168.38.x network.
>>
>> My laptop has the correct routing table on the Linux side for these
>> subnets, and /proc/sys/nt/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1, so it can forward
>> the correct packets to the .38. subnet (if it sees them).  What may not
>> be set up is the proper routing on my Linux Server machine to know how
>> to get to the .38. subnet from there....  I think I need a static route
>> for that, right?  Other packets headed for these subnets gets sent to my
>> router which doesn't know squat about them.
>>
> That does not sound like the bridged mode to me. That sounds more
> like the NAT mode. But I could be wrong. Every time I have set the
> bridged mode it has put the hosted secession on the same subnet as
> the hosting system...

These are different subnets, and the laptop is bridging the .6. subnet
to the .38. subnet.  I know, because I set up 2 virtual ethernet cards
for the VMWare session, and both were configured for bridged mode (one
is supposed to be my ethernet, and the other my wireless under windows).
Or at least *I* think they are.  I could be wrong (and frequently am).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net