Keyboard question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Apr 11 04:16:40 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Chris Mohler wrote:
>On 4/10/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I just bought and installed one of those Saitek illuminated keyboards,
>> and it shows up in dmesg as:
>>
>> usb 3-3.3: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
>> usb 3-3.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>> input: Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard as /class/input/input5
>> input: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard] on
>> usb-0000:00:02.2-3.3
>> input: Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard as /class/input/input6
>> input,hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Device [Chicony Saitek Eclipse II
>> Keyboard] on usb-0000:00:02.2-3.3
>>
>> The default background illumination is blue, but it apparently takes a
>> winderz utility of some kind to make it switch to green or red.  Is
>> there such a utility for linux yet?  I just checked the KDE control
>> panel and it knows nothing about this.
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance here.
>
>According to: http://www.saitekusa.com/manuals/Eclipse_II_manual.pdf
>the color is selected by pressing a button on the hardware - does that
> work?
>
>Chris

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.  There are no 'obvious' buttons,
and the little piece of legalese that comes with it doesn't mention it.
However, by playing with the right end of the rocker button that has a
speaker symbol with a strike thru it on the left end, which I assume is
the button to mute the audio, and with has a half a full moon on the
other end, the colors do indeed cycle thru the available gamut, which
appears to be red, blue or both for magenta.  Interesting choice, I would
have thought green, which is the most sensitive color to most eyes, would
have been the choice in place of blue.  But since we now have blue led's
at a reasonable price, I guess we're stuck with them...

Thanks.