libsndfile1

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:12:07 UTC 2007

On 10/04/07, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 19:35 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 09/04/07, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > What's the difference between libsndfile1 and libsndfile? They conflict,
> > > so what's the deal? Thanx! Ric
> >
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/i386/repoview/libsndfile.html
> >
> > libsndfile is a Fedora package. libsndfile1 is not. Please report the
> > conflict to the 3rd party that offers the conflicting package.
>
> Sorry, my question was why would there be to similar rpms for what
> purpose? I've noticed quite a few files with an added numeral to the
> file name and was curious as to what or how to consider them. Just
> curious is all, Ric

The package with the different name is created in order to make it
possible that multiple incompatible versions of the library can be
installed in parallel, if packaged correctly. Sometimes this is done
because different applications require a different API of the library.
In other cases a 3rd party packager wants to upgrade a Fedora package
to a newer [incompatible] version and moves Fedora's original release
of the library into a renamed compatibility package in order to not
break dependencies with other Fedora packages. If that is done without
coordinating such interference with the Fedora packager, renaming
packages and inserting new library versions into the Fedora run-time
environment bear the risk of creating conflicts, run-time problems and
upgrade problems.