problem with name for file sharing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 11 10:58:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:21 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> I have a problem now where I need to change the name localhost on my
> father's Linux box to something else because when I try to access the
> file sharing part this is the error I get:
> Windows Explorer
> \\Localhost is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find out if you have access permissions.
> You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network.

Localhost always refers to the machine itself.  Each machine refers to
itself as localhost, just the same as you refer to yourself as "myself".
It's useless to try and refer to an external device by the localhost
name.

You can change your hostname through manually configuring files, or one
of the various network control panel GUIs.  You should apply the
hostname to the interface that connects to the network, not to the
127.0.0.1 local loopback interface.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.