Shell-script puzzle

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:31:02 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007, Teo Fonrouge wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 07:03:45 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I want to use a script to automatically backup some files from one disk
> > to a second disk on the same box, using rsync.  I already have fetchmail
> > running as myself, and no problems with that, but the new script doesn't
> > run unattended.  If I select 'run now' in kcron it asks me for my
> > password. When it attempts to run the unattended backup it reports
> >
> > Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
> >
> > How have I managed to screw this up?
>
> Hello Anne,
>
> Maybe is just the way you are using rsync. If you want to backup files on
> the same box ( AND files/directories access granted to a same user ) your
> syntax can be just like:
>
> rsync /FromDirectory /ToDirectory
>
> Otherwise, maybe you need to supply  user at host syntax like:
>
> rsync /FromDirectory anne at host:/ToDirectory
> rsync anne at host:/FromDirectory /ToDirectory
> rsync anne at host:/FromDirectory anotheruser at anotherhost:/ToDirectory
>
> In any such cases, you need to create a public key and store it in the host
> that you are trying to reach to get the script running unattended.
>
> Hope this helps you

Thanks for trying to help, Teo.  In fact the problem was my own stupidity in
forgetting to check carefully that I had removed the keychain line - the
script was based on one that did copy from boxB to boxA, whereas in this case
it was from boxA/diskA to boxA/diskB.

It's amazing how long it can take to uncover our own stupidities :-)
Fortunately, messages like yours and David's prompt me with things to check.

Thanks again to both of you.

Anne