Tux 500

linuxmaillists at charter.net linuxmaillists at charter.net
Wed Apr 11 19:59:14 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 13:36 -0400,
> Ok, there's a joke to made about that...  Hmm.  To be on
> a par with MS, we've got to do just as stupid things as
> Windows does.

No, The community should pull together and figure out ways
to have good marketing and that is where the community as a
whole falls flat because most don't think it is needed.
They think eventually people will come around.  If people
don't know about it or hear about it from a trusted source
they will ignore it.

I had heard about Linux but it was from FUD spinners.  Linux
is a hacker OS... that is not good... it is free so it
can't be any good, because it wasn't designed by
professionals... Blah, blah, blah!

It was only when a couple geeks that I knew came along and
said try Linux because it is stable no BSOD, it is robust,
it is secure, it is safe from worms and viruses, it will do
anything that Windows can do, it has an office suite, you
can surf the web, do e-mail. It is an easy download and
install.  So I did and I have not looked back.

> Yes, marketing works, but you do have to pitch to the
> right market.  Is car racing full of computing
> enthusiasts, or car enthusiasts?

I would say that most people that go to a race are not car
enthusiasts but do like to watch a race.

> Linux is something for
> computing enthusiasts, not just computer users.  Windows
> and MacOS is for them.

I some what agree, but you do not have to be a computing
enthusiasts to use Linux. Compared to a lot of you I am
just a computer user, but I have been using Linux for five
years and won't use Windows unless I am forced too.

> There's little point in being a
> clone of them.

agree, and Linux is not and won't be a clone.

> Where's the benefit.  You're no-longer an
> alternative.

The benefit is Linux still will be an alternative.

I have learned a lot more about computers since moving to
Linux than I ever knew or would have know using Windows.

I have learned how to do things using Linux that I could not
figure out using Windows because it was too complicated.

--
If the word following begins with
a vowel, the word you want is...