Tux 500

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Apr 11 21:00:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 15:46 -0400, mindwave at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> Having been to several 'indy' events I think they MAY be aiming at the
> 'elietst' crowd and the larger corporate owners.
>
> although i cant think of a single company that sponsored a car BEFORE
> it had the worlds ear. Home Depot, Lowes, STP etc.

I hate to wade in here, but CDW sponsors a number of cars (CHAMP, NASCAR
[ugh!], ALMS, Speed World Challenge, etc.), as do Compuware and several
others that don't "have the world's ear" (and they still may not).  ACS
Racing (fairly well known in GT racing) is owned by Applied Computer
Solutions and one of their cars is driven by the founder of ACS (Steve
Davis).

Oracle, Dell and a bunch of others also sponsor cars, so I kinda find
this argument a bit specious.  Then there are sponsors that I still
don't know what the devil they are.  Do you know who InDeck (Paul
Tracy's sponsor in CHAMP) is?

> It is ALSO a quick way to generate LOTS of cash. most sponsors in that
> league would think nothing of throwing half a mil in advertising to a
> race team, unfortunately they are appealing to a community of millions
> of individuals on the HOPE that several hundred thousand will toss in
> a dollar.

That's all advertising is.

> Could be worse, they could be tempting NASCAR. Can you imagine Cooter
> and Skeeter the 1st time they have to CHMOD?

Ok, I've weighed in and I'm done.  I am not going to follow this thread
anymore.

> OY!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -