Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Apr 11 21:00:58 UTC 2007

Firslty, gawd is greshko still trying to reply to me, if he reads this he
should be remined that I told him I label him one of this lists key trolls
and as my time is limited I never read anything he (or the other key
trolls) post, (when im next on holidays and have more time maybe ill
create some entertainment again tho)

and a hint to him I aint reading his crap in here either, ill be
skipping to Robins comments...

  On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Robin Laing wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Res wrote:
>>

> In the past I have seen discussions about other repo's that don't compile an
> application to use all the features provided being slammed. Mplayer is one
> application that comes to mind.

I really wonder what the likes of OpenOffice Org and the Mplayer and so
forth think of fedoras butchering of their code.

> I use OOo daily and until last week I found it very slow.  When I installed
> OOo 2.2 it was so much faster.  There are way to many variables to say it is
> because of something missing due to Fedora developers or just major
> improvements to the 2.2 code that will show up in the official FC release.

I have not used RH's OOo since 1.0.something

> I will repeat myself when I say that getting support for a product can be
> difficult if a feature is removed from the bistro but there is no
> documentation indicating this available.  You go to the software site and
> their support tells you to do one thing but you find that you cannot because
> that feature or tool has been removed.

This is so true, a bug is found - replace XYZ with any of the hacked
software, which it now seems there are plenty of.....

XYZ: "go away we dont want to know about it because your distro butchers
the software, we will not support their mutlilated version of our product"

RH/Fedora: "log a bug with XYZ"

XYZ: <ignores followups because because they already told you its not
their problem, which it clearly is not>

> If the developers don't want to supply a list of changes from the original,
> then users may have to submit bug reports for all those missing features.

Lets clear one thing up, they are not developers, you mean packagers, the
developers are the ones who wrote the REAL code.

> I guess it is time to learn how to make my own packages to get around these
> hurdles.

Or time to realise there are alternatives to Fedora, at present
opensolaris looks pretty good on the desktop behind me, almost as good as
when it ran SuSe last week, Pitty Slack dropped Gnome tho, once F7 is
released ill make my final decision to stay or move all desktops in my
org to vendor X, I know one thing for sure vendor X wont be m$  :)

RH toted 1 million plus d/l's of fedora.... I wonder how many of
those million odd are actually still useing it after finding out how
crippled it is.

--
Cheers
Res

Let Novell know what you think of their back door deal with the devil.
Sign the petition today:   http://techp.org/p/1/