FC Upgrade 3 -> 6 : install process does not see disks

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 12 03:30:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:16 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:

> It is possible to upgrade a runnable installation without burning any media
> at all, by providing the new kernel and setting up a proper grub entry and
> rebooting, but I have not actually done that (so I'm sure I left something
> out).

You need to copy the isolinux directory from the 1st install CD to /boot
and then set up a grub entry along the lines of:

title Upgrade to Fedora 6
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/isolinux/vmlinuz
        initrd /boot/isolinux/initrd.img

(add any options you need to the kernel line.)

> I just burn the Rescue CD, or the whole DVD, and use that to start a
> disk-based upgrade with "linux askmethod" (it's faster that way, modulo yum
> dep-checking speed).

You only need boot.iso from the images directory.  That's a much
smaller download.  Or if your box can boot from a usb key you can use
diskboot.img and dd that on to a pen drive.

--
Ian