Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Apr 12 16:38:13 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko <at> greshko.com> writes:
> > I use OOo daily and until last week I found it very slow.  When I
> > installed OOo 2.2 it was so much faster.  There are way to many
> > variables to say it is because of something missing due to Fedora
> > developers or just major improvements to the 2.2 code that will show up
> > in the official FC release.
>
> Maybe you could have installed the same version of OOo from the official
> site and compared it with the OOo supplied by FC?

Or, even more effective, they could have done the same, but with the source
code, like this:
http://www.tigen.org/kevin.kofler/ooo-fc6.diff
Of course, due to the wonderful feature that is patch -R, it's probably illegal
to even link to this diff if you're in the US, just as it's illegal to link to
http://rpm.livna.org but as I'm not in the US, I don't care.

> There is no way for the original writers to know ifwhat changes have been
> made to their code.

There is a way, that's what diff is for. :-)

Moreover, Red Hat says they sent the changes they made to the OO.o project, so
they should know what RH changed.

        Kevin Kofler