A better, faster desktop search for Linux!

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 05:49:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:57:46 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> I just saw this and this looks like fabulous project - better that
> beagle!
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/A_better_faster_desktop_search_for_Linux
>
> I love beagle, but not the memory footprint it uses and updates for mono
> used to break beagle, and vice-versa. I hope that "tracker" gets in
> Fedora 7 - and FAST.

Seems very nice indeed. For kicks, I created a file with some string in it

echo "abcdefgh" > junk

then right away

tracker-search abcdefgh

found it instantly. I don't even know when or how it indexed it. After
the initial indexing, tracker it's unnoticeable. Beagle was reasonable
when I was working on the computer, but would take up 100% of the
processor after some 10-20 minutes of inactivity. So I uninstalled
beagle. Tracker doesn't seem to do that.

Too bad my nautilus is not tracker-enabled. I hope it will be in FC7 and
I hope tracker will come standard.