A better, faster desktop search for Linux!

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Apr 13 15:10:12 UTC 2007

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:57:46 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> I just saw this and this looks like fabulous project - better that
>> beagle!
>> http://digg.com/linux_unix/A_better_faster_desktop_search_for_Linux
>>
>> I love beagle, but not the memory footprint it uses and updates for mono
>> used to break beagle, and vice-versa. I hope that "tracker" gets in
>> Fedora 7 - and FAST.
>>

> Seems very nice indeed. For kicks, I created a file with some string in it
>
> echo "abcdefgh" > junk
>
> then right away
>
> tracker-search abcdefgh
>
> found it instantly. I don't even know when or how it indexed it. After
> the initial indexing, tracker it's unnoticeable. Beagle was reasonable
> when I was working on the computer, but would take up 100% of the
> processor after some 10-20 minutes of inactivity. So I uninstalled
> beagle. Tracker doesn't seem to do that.

I don't have the same response on FC6. I did the exact same thing
and tracker didn't find it. I tried searching for a string found
in a file in my home directory and it didn't find it. I get all
sorts of odd responses to tracker-search such as:

$ tracker-search abcdef
tracker-search: internal tracker error: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

This while tracker is streaming information on the tty I ran it
on.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com