network bug or feature in FC6 installer

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Sat Apr 14 00:22:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 23:50 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I'm installing FC6 on my 2nd computer and I'm running into the same bug I
> did when I installed it on my primary computer (but somehow I got away
> with).
>
> During install, at network configuration I want to give eth0 a static IP
> rather than DHCP. So I choose 192.168.1.20, as the ipv4 address. I leave
> the IPv6 entry blank, as I have no idea what to enter there. Of course,
> the installer won't let me continue, so I'm forced to choose dhcp.

I've never had that issue.  I've always installed with a fixed IP.  You
DO have to specify a netmask and gateway, however, or it won't continue.
For a netmask, try 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1.

> Next, with dhcp, at package selection, I want to enable the extras
> repository, it prompts me again for network configuration, sends the dhcp
> request and it crashes (some unhandled error, please save it on floppy; I
> would if I had a floppy).

That's a known issue.  Do NOT enable the extras repository during
install.  Once the system's up, THEN enable it and "yum install"
whatever you want.

> Did anybody else have these problems? Any workaround? Has it been fixed
> in f7?

I've never gotten any FC7 test releases to install at all.  They've all
crapped out on the disk controller, but that may be me...I've always
been in a rush to do it.

> As a feature request, if the installer insists on ipv6 addresses, can
> there be an ipv6 calculator be integrated into the installer that would
> automatically fill in the ipv6 address based on the ipv4 address? Am I
> the only one out there who can't do ipv4->ipv6 in his head?

It hasn't demanded IPV6 yet and I don't see it happening soon.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -