OpenOffice Calc biting the dust

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Apr 14 10:58:20 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:

> One thing that is hard to swallow is a spreadsheet that just winks out
> of existence in the middle of last minute tax prep. I'll be entering a
> column of data then it just winks out. Recovery process starts me almost
> at the beginning. Anyone else experiencing this? It's a little bit
> un-nerving. Ric

I think there may be some kind of bug in a lib somewhere at the moment.
  My wife is seeing Firefox dying after some random time on her machine.
  I ran it under gdb and when it died it was due to an X error

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
   (Details: serial 8810105 error_code 1 request_code 0 minor_code 0)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Googling on that turned up a thread blaming problems with GTK for
similar behaviour... which might explain why Firefox and OO could both
go shaky.  Or it could be something else entirely.

I updated her gtk with the one from development but the problem persists.

-Andy