rss2email gives: Fatal error: could not connect to mail server

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Apr 14 17:04:18 UTC 2007

Thufir wrote:
> It appears to be a configuration with sendmail which is causing
> the error message with rss2email?

It's the rss2email config that says to use localhost as your SMTP
server.

> Can I use the google smtp server? It requires a password, so I'm
> thinking not.  I need to also configure for my ISP's mail server?

One or the other should be possible.  Look at ~/.rss2email/config.py
and change the settings there.  Here is the default config file:

# Find some common used config options below; all can be found all and
# descriptions in the section titled "### Vaguely Customizable Options ###"
# near the top of /usr/share/rss2email/rss2email.py

DEFAULT_FROM="bozo at dev.null.invalid"
HTML_MAIL=1
SMTP_SEND=1
SMTP_SERVER="localhost"
AUTHREQUIRED=0
SMTP_USER="username"
SMTP_PASS="password"
DATE_HEADER=0
# PROXY=""

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.