making a variable for the shell

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Apr 14 21:45:12 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I would like to tell Bash that /home/ShellScripts/ is a path that I want
> to be seen all the time.  How would one do this or what man page would I
> consult?
>
> Scott

In ~/.bash_profile, add something like:

PATH=$PATH:/home/ShellScripts/

export PATH

But I think the default setup is:
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

This lets you create a bin directory in your home directory to put
your scripts in. Usually, local scripts that you want all users to
be able to access are put in /usr/local/bin. A world writable
directory on your path is not a good idea...

Mikkel