making a variable for the shell

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Apr 14 21:49:51 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> I would like to tell Bash that /home/ShellScripts/ is a path that I
> want to be seen all the time.  How would one do this or what man
> page would I consult?

What you want to set for bash is $PATH.  You can do this in the
.bash_profile file in your homedir if you want to do this for a
particular user, or in /etc/profile to affect all users.

Most likely, you want to add to the existing path.  In either of the
profile files, put something like this before any lines that include
"export ... PATH":

PATH=$PATH:/home/ShellScripts

I think this would be covered in the bash man page, but that's really
more like a book than a typical manpage. :)

The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your
attention.
    -- Richard Moss, M.D.