Media Player suggestions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 15 00:49:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 10:34 -0700, Ravi Malghan wrote:
> is there a media player that comes with standard video codecs?

Which codec would that be?  There's a plethora of types of codecs used
from various common devices, never mind the uncommon one.  It's a right
pain in the neck, I know.  MPEG 1, 2, 4, motion JPEG, DivX, and that's
just the beginning of a list...

Some of them have dubious legality, so you mightn't get them from
official Fedora sources.

> I installed Fedora 6 and mplayer that is installed doesn't even play
> mpeg files I have created using a video camera. It looks for the video
> codec and I am not able to install those codes b'cos of host of other
> problems.

You're not going to get much in the way of useful help if you don't say
why you can't install something.  Network issues, drive space issues,
not allowed to install software, whatever...

I installed mplayer and mplayer-gui from rpm.livna.org, it was fairly
painless and they manage to play most things.  In the past I, also,
installed a collection of codecs from the mplayer website to handle even
more types of files, but I haven't bothered doing that with FC6, and
I've been able to play everything that I've thrown at it.  That was
little more than unpacking an archive file into a specific directory.

Installing mplayerplug-in, as well, can be useful if you'd like to be
able to play non-flash movies embedded in webpages.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.