script to access partitions only accessable as root

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Apr 15 16:33:59 UTC 2007

I'm still using FC2 on a daily basis, but also have FC1, 3, 5, and 6 on this
machine. I fetch the email on FC2, and if someone has a question regarding
FC6 for example, it's nice to be able to post a bit of text from a config
file that's on FC6.

I can create directories in /mnt with no problems, and add entries for the
partitions to /etc/fstab, but when I click on the desktop launcher for these
partitions I'm told that only root can mount them.

I can mount them individually using.
# mount -t ext3 /dev/hdxx /mnt/hdxx

What I am looking for is a script that I can run as root, which will mount all
the /, and /home partitions which I have already created directories for
in /mnt on FC2 for FC1,3,5, and 6.

Much appreciation for any comments.

Nigel.