Might I have spyware on FC6? This is very suspicious.

Angus MacGyver macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 21:18:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 22:32 +0200, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Domingo, 15 de Abril de 2007 21:58, Dotan Cohen escribió:
> > For my personal email contacts I use disposable email addresses to
> > control spam. The result is that I have literally hundreds of email
> > addresses at the same domain, caught by a catch all and sorted from
> > there. Very effective in identifying the source(s) of spam.
> >
> > Today, I received 9 very similar spam messages to 9 different email
> > addresses. These addresses have absolutely nothing in common, other
> > than the fact that they are all in To addresses in email in my Kmail
> > folders. The only way that an entity would find these addresses
> > together would be if it had access to my ~/.kde folders, in other
> > words read access to my computer.
> >
> > Might I have spyware on this FC6 installation? What would be the first
> > things to check? Steps to take?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

I did have a similar situation a while back, but before condemming the
workstations (the addresses were used on different machines) I did a bit
of logical thinking..

One mail address used for purpose "x", another for purpose "y"...

Initially, there are two databases, one with each mail address in it....

Some point in the future, one group of spammers sell one database to
another group, that have the other database, bingo, you have both
addresses in the same database - they can, and will get the same spam.

Not saying that there ain't "nasties" that do mail shots or worse for
*nix, but the vast majority will be with our friend Windows...

Regards

AM