Shutdown hangs on "Turning off quotas"

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00003 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 02:12:36 UTC 2007

Verily I say unto thee, that Patrick spake thusly:

> And here is just hangs. I tried a manual umount /mnt/data1 and it gave
> an error and would not unmount the share.
>
> The nfs share entry in /etc/fstab:
> box1:/home/patrick      /mnt/data1              nfs     user,rw,exec,nosuid,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192     0 0
> I'm not too sure about all these settings. Picked them up while googling
> around.
>
> I did some tests:
>
> WORKS: log into Gnome Desktop, do not mount the nfs share & shutdown.
> WORKS: log into the Gnome Desktop, mount the nfs share, unmount the nfs
> share by right clicking on it and selecting unmount then shut down.
> DOES NOT WORK: log into the Gnome Desktop, mount the nfs share and
> select shutdown.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is what my NFS entry looks like, and it automounts/unmounts fine,
and allows access to non-root users no problem:

sky.matrix:/shared  /mnt/sky  nfs  auto,user,rw  0 0

I take it you can actually use that NFS share normally, once it's mounted?

For mounts that are stubborn about unmounting, try the "lazy" option:

~]# umount -l /mnt/data1

And see if you can shutdown.

Exactly *what* is going on with your NFS share, I don't know, but it
looks like something is locking a resource on your share, and not
letting go. Do you have some program trying to access files on the share
in the background? What exactly do you have on that share?

Then again, maybe it's something to do with the way Gnome (VFS) is
locking the share. Simple answer, don't mount it with Gnome ... let the
initscripts take care of it, by setting it to automount (as above).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 03:10:25 up 4 days, 11:22,  2 users,  load average: 0.77, 0.56, 0.45