FC6 Skype Howto?

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Tue Apr 17 02:02:59 UTC 2007

I just cannot get Skype to pickup audio from the mic with FC6. I see
others have had the same problem, but I can't find any definitive
HOWTO on the matter.

Let just say I've just installed FC6 fresh from dist, applied updates
and got the latest (version 1.3.0_53) Skype RPM for FC5 and installed
that. I know that my sound hardware and mic work (because it works
perfectly with Windows).

So what do I do/check next?

As an aside: Is there *any* easy way to verify that the mic is working
and enabled with FC6? A simple audio recorder or sound level meter? I
would have expected this in system-config-soundcard and/or the volume
control applet. Predictably the Gnome help yields nothing on this.

Thanks,

Joe.