Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Tue Apr 17 09:53:02 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 17.04.2007, 01:38 -0700 schrieb Arne Chr. Jorgensen:

> I hope to be excused as it was very complicated to
> figure out the Fedora jungle of where to ask og
> suggest anything.

Seems like you found the place.

> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get going again.

Not true. You insert the Software CD reinstall, Screw everything up
because you have newer dlls and stuff and the only option you have is:

1.) make a backup of your files
2.) reinstall everything
3.) patch everything accordingly
4.) get new viruses if you try to fetch new working serial numbers
5.) install virus scanner.
6.) install Trojan detectors.
7.) Clean the 20 Viruses and 10 Trojans you have on your maschine.
8.) Hope that it runs tomorrow as it runs today.

> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes,

A.) You boot into Single User mode and investigate what is going on.

or

B.) You boot into Run Level 3 and have Network and Console Tools up
    and running. You read Log Files and find out what is going wrong.

or

C.) You download a Fedora Live CD or a Knoppix CD and have a full
    working environment while you try to figure out what is going wrong.

>  you insert the software CD, but
> instead of the situation above, most of your work is lost !

You have really no clue what you are talking about. No work is lost!
Only if you screw up your Disk Partitioning, if you accidentily
reformated your disk. Or if the worst failure meets you:

Your Harddisk dies.

But this should be no problem. Where is your Backup?

> I suggest that the installation WILL have an OPTION
> for installing the X-server. It can be on the rescue disk, for instance.

You do not need such a thing.

> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in
> Fedora6, I sure would like to know and hopefully rescue my
> disk.

yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

should bring you back what you are missing.

> But frankly, I don't understand why such an option
> isn't there in the first place.

Because it is not needed.