DVD drive not detected anymore

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 17 10:15:30 UTC 2007

Henk Altena wrote:

>> 1.  On the first boot, was the system powered off?
>>
> Yes
>> 2.  On the reboot, did you simply reboot via the system menu or did you
>> shutdown and power cycle the system?
>>
> Reboot via the system menu
>> 3.  On the first boot, save /var/log/dmesg someplace and reboot.  Then
>> compare the /var/log/dmesg file created at the second boot.
>>
> O.K. I will look for a possible cause there

At this point, to me at least, it seems as if you have a BIOS issue when
your system is first powered up.  A reboot, without a full power-off, clears
the issue.

Besides looking at the dmesg file, I would also power-off the system and
when you get to the BIOS screen enter what you need to to edit your BIOS and
check to see if the DVD has been detected by the BIOS.

Ed