FC5 system won't boot after update

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Tue Apr 17 10:34:48 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:19 -0300, John DeDourek wrote:
>
>> Just did a rather massive yum update of an FC5 system.  The update
>> include updating kernel from  .... to 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
>>

> And if you boot from the old kernel, do things work again?

Yes.  No problem with that.  It still boots and runs fine
under the old kernel.

A previous reply suggested that the new kernel might have
a bad initrd.

Can anyone tell me whether the initrd is
installed as a binary from the kernel package, or is
custom built by a script during the install process?  If
the latter, I am inclined to remove and reinstall the new
kernel, thus rebuilding the new initrd.  (Or, I will find
the instructions for rebuilding the initrd manually.)