FC6 Skype Howto?

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Tue Apr 17 13:30:27 UTC 2007

Update on this: I downloaded audacity and randomly flipped options on
that until I finally could see an input in the level meter and was
able to record/playback some voice.

I went back to skype (configured to use ALSA) and it works now. Even
after a reboot. So this is down to sound settings.

I cannot see any visible difference in the settings in  Preferences ->
Volume Control  applet (gnome-volume-control)  since it started to
work. So I'm guessing there is a whole lot more to sound configuration
that is covered in gnome-volume-control (?). However what I do have is
an output from "amixer" from before and after if someone would be kind
enough to look at those (there are differences).

I tried the same "procedure" (download audacity and randomly flip
options) on a freshly installed FC6 dist on a Dell Dimension C521 but
this time it didn't work (I can't even get any input from mic).

My observation: The gnome-volume-control is broken. It's either
buggy/not complete/too complex/not documented property.  I don't
understand most of the options in the sound config tool -- nor would
most people. Eg what does "InMux" mean?. It's should have test button
(play a tone for outputs, level meter for inputs). Gnome help on this
tool is (as always) useless.

Joe.