Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:44:04 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I install a fresh Fedora7 (test 3) then run web browser and go to
> fedora magazine page - from there I download some video ogg files from
> it.

<snip rant>

"test 3"

> Regarding proprietary video codecs RedHad developers just say
> something like this: "We talked with out lawyers and they said no."
> Ok? And? Where can we see this discussion? I know that you can't put
> MP3 support in fedora, but that you can't even put an link for some
> European server that has all the codecs? Lawyers say that RedHat can
> be sued even for puting links that enable multimedia. Ok, maybe I
> believe it but it is maybe possible that some one would sue, but
> hardly win that case.

It's traditional to put IANAL after your opinions on law (unless you
are a lawyer, in which case your best bet is often not giving out
opinions at all). Legal advice is often best kept out of the public
sphere, since it can get you into trouble when things do go to
court. Canonical's main office is in London, and the EU currently
has a more enlightened policy on software patents. IANAL...

--
imalone