recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 17 16:22:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 17:14 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I'm thinking about getting a 64bit laptop so I can run 64bit FC5/FC6 however I
> must have wireless working.  Any suggestions?

If you want wireless to work it probably makes sense to get a laptop
with Intel WiFi like Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG or 2915ABG or 3945ABG.
Also keep an eye on the videochip/GPU that the laptop is equipped with.
Compiz or Beryl only work well with nVidia GPUs, older ATI GPUs (I think
up to and including the R400 family) and (I think) Intel GPUs. If you
plan on using VMware you may want to consider getting at least 1GB
memory. If you want to play games consider an nVidia GPU since their
OpenGL performance seems better than ATI's but you will need to use
their proprietary drivers. For wireless to work well you may want to
wait for Fedora 7 which should be available in about two months.

Sites with more info:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://tuxmobil.org/

Regards,