Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 17 19:45:58 UTC 2007

What gets me about threads like this one is the unvoiced assumption
that every distribution has to be aimed at the entire potential user
base. One of the best things about Linux is having choices. A
distribution designed as a corporate desktop system is probably safe
is assuming that the person changing the software packages on a
system is going to make fairly intelligent decisions on what to
remove based on the type of messages yum gives now. In this setting,
the end user is not usually going to be the one making the changes.
The IT department will. (Probably on batches of systems at one time.)

Fedora Core appears to be aimed at another class of users. It seams
to be aimed at a more technically knowable group of users. Because
of this, it is also possible to "shoot yourself in the foot" if you
don't read the information presented to you. You are expected to
make informed decisions. That is one reason I am using it.

My personal feelings are that FC would be a poor choice for your
average home user, especially one that is migrating from an older
version of Windows. (98) Depending on their hardware, they may not
have enough of a system to affectively run it, and it is not as
"User Friendly" for new users as some of the other distributions. If
they have the hardware for it, then Ubuntu may be a better choice.
(It wouldn't be my choice, but that is the point...)

If they do not have the hardware for Ubuntu, then it would be time
to look into one of the "less demanding" distributions. (I am not
current on this - would they need someone to install/support this?)

So maybe what is really needed is a clearer indication of who each
distribution is aimed at? As well as a clearer explanation that
Linux distributions are not intended to be "One size fits all"...

Mikkel